Director of Operations & Finance
The Medicare Rights Center (www.medicarerights.org) is a national, nonprofit consumer service organization that works to ensure access to affordable health care for older adults and people with disabilities through counseling and advocacy, educational programs, and public policy initiatives. Medicare Rights’ unique blend of service, education, and advocacy ensures that real consumer experiences reach the highest levels of policymaking, and that policies and laws adopted at state and federal levels are translated for consumers and effectively implemented. Since its founding in 1989, Medicare Rights has provided assistance to millions of people and laid the groundwork for successful collaborations with advocates and policymakers in New York, Washington, DC, and other states.
The Position—Director of Operations & Finance
Medicare Rights is seeking a full-time Director of Operations & Finance. This position leads, manages, and plans for all work related to Medicare Rights’ fiscal, personnel, and office/building operations. Areas of focus include but are not limited to budget and finance, insurance and other benefits, staff and organizational growth, compliance, facilities management, and other operational issues. The position is part of the senior management team that reports to the President and participates regularly in communications with Medicare Rights’ Board of Directors.
Leadership and Governance
- Manage Medicare Rights’ finances, personnel processes, and administrative efforts, considering current systems and protocols and recommending full-fledged strategies for improving operations while carrying out Medicare Rights’ mission
- Work collaboratively with other departments to ensure communication and cooperation
- Supervise the work of a small team of Operations staff, including an IT Director and Operations Associate, work closely with a consultant bookkeeper, and manage relationships with a variety of external partners, including attorneys, auditors, and benefits managers
- Ensure that the Board of Directors is knowledgeable about Medicare Rights’ finances by preparing reports and presentations, and participating in Board Finance, Governance and Audit Committees and other committee meetings as necessary
- Review contracts and other legal documents, and ensure that Medicare Rights’ legal interests are protected, in coordination with pro bono and other legal counsel
- Prepare and maintain all records required by law, including those associated with Medicare Rights’ 501(c)(3) status
- Consult with senior management on the implementation and monitoring of Operations components of Medicare Rights’ strategic plan
- Execute all day-to-day financial activities and review and approve all payables, receivables, expense reports, reimbursements, and invoices with Operations Associate and consultant bookkeeper
- Direct budget development and monitoring, including timely preparation of financial reports for a variety of purposes and audiences (e.g., Board, foundations, auditors)
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed
- Oversee financing strategies and activities, including investment of cash reserves
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions
- Supervise all audit processes and serve as direct contact with auditor
- Manage all processes related to staff recruitment, hiring, onboarding, payroll and benefits processing, evaluation, and professional development
- Oversee and work with senior management team to maintain and/or improve Medicare Rights’ benefits package, serving as a direct contact with external benefits managers
- Develop and maintain comprehensive employee policies and procedures, and communicate all policies and procedures in a clear and timely way to staff
- Maintain personnel records
- Ensure organizational and staff compliance with all local, state, and federal personnel requirements
Systems & Facilities Management
- Provide overarching oversight of issues related to Medicare Rights’ office space, equipment, and supplies
- Understand and convey all emergency procedures to staff and volunteers
- With the IT Director, ensure that technological capacity is maximized through strategic investments in technology and systems to protect Medicare Rights’ systems and data IT
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in finance, business administration, or a related discipline
- 10+ years of experience in roles of increasing responsibility in financial and operations management, in-depth knowledge of nonprofit accounting rules and IRS regulations, and experience in managing finances for an organization of similar or larger size ($3.5+ million), including accounting related to an array of foundation grants, government contracts, and earned income sources
- Direct experience managing audit and compliance processes
- Experience helping build an organization’s staff and budget
- Interest in and experience understanding and investing in technologies to carry out organizational mission
- Commitment to transparency, staff empowerment, and day-to-day and big-picture strategic thinking
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting clear priorities, creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in programs, people, and systems
- Extremely well organized, detail-oriented, and analytical
- Empathetic and committed to Medicare Rights’ mission and values: https://www.medicarerights.org/about-us
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Medicare Rights Center offers a generous benefits package.
The Medicare Rights Center is committed to diversity, and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with “Director of Operations and Finance” in the subject line. Cover letter files should be labeled “Last Name – Cover Letter” and resumes should be labeled “Last Name – Resume.” No phone calls, please.