Director of Client Services
The Medicare Rights Center (www.medicarerights.org) is a national, nonprofit consumer service organization that works to ensure access to affordable health care for older adults and people with disabilities through counseling and advocacy, educational programs, and public policy initiatives. Medicare Rights’ unique blend of service, education, and advocacy ensures that real consumer experiences reach the highest levels of policymaking, and that policies and laws adopted at state and federal levels are translated for consumers and effectively implemented. Since its founding in 1989, Medicare Rights has provided assistance to millions of people and laid the groundwork for successful collaborations with advocates and policymakers in New York, Washington, DC, and other states.
The Position—Director of Client Services
Medicare Rights is seeking a full-time Director of Client Services. This position leads, manages, and plans for all work related to Medicare Rights’ client programming. Areas of focus include but are not limited to national helpline operation and client counseling, Medicare-related low-income benefits enrollment, volunteer recruitment and management, staff training and supervision, select public contract and grant management, and Client Services-related strategic planning. The position is part of the senior management team and regularly communicates with all of Medicare Rights’ departments.
- Oversee approximately 10 Client Services staff and 60 volunteers.
- Ensure that high quality service delivery is maintained across all services provided by the Client Services department. This includes managing a national helpline that fields around 20,000 questions each year, low-income benefits enrollment work that helps around 1,000 clients each year, email counseling channels, targeted casework and legal appeals, and a robust client database.
- Develop and adapt methods for collecting client stories for use with journalists, potential donors and funders, and policymakers.
- Collaborate with the Program Development team to ensure that grant and contract deliverables are met, and to brainstorm new project ideas.
- Inform and implement departmental goals related to Medicare Rights’ strategic plan.
- Lead and champion ongoing quality assurance and improvement related to the client counseling, data collection, and more, and oversee all data analysis and development of publications related to the helpline and client counseling.
- Model excellent management skills, and evaluate staff and volunteer performance on an ongoing basis through regular supervision and written evaluations.
- As a representative of Medicare Rights, serve as speaker, presenter, and advocate for all aspects of the organization’s work, for instance at conferences, on panels, at health fairs, with advocates, and with policymakers in New York City, Albany, and Washington, DC.
- Oversee all hiring and personnel management in Client Services, working with key senior staff.
- Assume additional responsibilities as may be requested by the President, the Senior Counsel for Client Services & New York Policy, or the Vice President for Program and Product Development.
- Undergraduate degree required; advanced degree in relevant area preferred
- 7+ years of post-undergraduate work experience, with a strong preference for experience in either a social services or health care policy organization
- A solid working knowledge of Medicare preferred, preferably obtained through some aspect of previous work experience
- Experience in staff/volunteer and program management, in a supervisory capacity, preferably in a social service setting
- Experience in a customer service environment preferred, in which metrics and best practices are championed
- A leadership style that is highly collaborative yet appropriately decisive, and a willingness to work across departmental lines on a consistent basis to ensure the delivery of high quality services
- Demonstrated sound judgment and strong skills in both day-to-day management and strategic thinking
- A high comfort level with complex data and analysis
- An ability to meet deadlines on a regular basis
- Empathetic and committed to Medicare Rights’ mission and values: https://www.medicarerights.org/about-us
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Medicare Rights Center offers a generous benefits package.
The Medicare Rights Center is committed to diversity, and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with “Director of Client Services” in the subject line. Cover letter files should be labeled “Last Name – Cover Letter” and resumes should be labeled “Last Name – Resume.” No phone calls, please.