Client Services & Education Associate
The Medicare Rights Center (www.medicarerights.org) is a national, nonprofit consumer service organization that works to ensure access to affordable health care for older adults and people with disabilities through counseling and advocacy, educational programs, and public policy initiatives. Medicare Rights’ unique blend of service, education, and advocacy ensures that real consumer experiences reach the highest levels of policymaking, and that policies and laws adopted at state and federal levels are translated for consumers and effectively implemented. Since its founding in 1989, Medicare Rights has provided assistance to millions of people and laid the groundwork for successful collaborations with advocates and policymakers in New York, Washington, DC, and other states.
The Position—Client Services & Education Associate
Medicare Rights is seeking a full-time Client Services & Education Associate. This position will report to the Client Services Counsel and to the Education Coordinator and will divide time among client counseling (phone and email), developing and testing educational materials for consumers, caregivers, and professionals, and leading presentations and trainings.
Activities to be pursued by the Client Services & Education Associate include the following:
- Provide telephone and email counseling to consumer and professional clients with questions about Medicare, collecting relevant data on call topics and trends and making timely referrals as needed.
- Supervise volunteers as they provide Medicare counseling to callers.
- Assist with Medicare Rights’ low-income benefits enrollment work, including screening clients for benefits, conducting outreach to eligible individuals, processing benefits with relevant city agencies, and helping train community-based professionals on benefits and enrollment processes.
- Assist in writing up stories of Medicare Rights’ clients for use in policy reports, media pieces, donor letters, and more.
- Assume responsibility for specific Education department projects, including drafting new print and e-learning content, developing new educational toolkits and trainings, and working with the IT department to test and implement new online learning features.
- Lead community presentations and trainings as needed to educate consumers and professionals in New York and nationally about their Medicare rights and options.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
The successful candidate will be highly motivated and organized, with experience working independently and in collaboration. Specific qualifications include the following:
- Undergraduate degree required.
- Exceptionally strong writing and communication skills. Spanish-language fluency preferred.
- Empathy and ability to convey complex information in a consumer-friendly manner.
- Ability to connect consumer experience to broader Medicare and health policy trends.
- An orientation toward data and analysis.
- Organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Experience or knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid and/or public health issues preferred, but not required.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Medicare Rights Center offers a generous benefits package.
The Medicare Rights Center is committed to diversity, and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with “Client Services & Education Associate” in the subject line. Cover letter files should be labeled “Last Name – Cover Letter,” and resumes should be labeled “Last Name – Resume.” No phone calls please.