Client Services Associate
The Medicare Rights Center (www.medicarerights.org) is a national, nonprofit consumer service organization that works to ensure access to affordable health care for older adults and people with disabilities through counseling and advocacy, educational programs and public policy initiatives. Medicare Rights’ unique blend of service, education, and advocacy ensures that real consumer experiences reach the highest levels of policymaking, and that policies and laws adopted at state and federal levels are translated for consumers and effectively implemented. Since its founding in 1989, Medicare Rights has provided assistance to more than one million people, and laid the groundwork for successful collaborations with advocates and policymakers in New York, Washington, DC, and other states.
The Position—Client Services Associate
Medicare Rights is seeking a full-time Client Services Associate. This person will report to the Director of Client Services and provide individual Medicare counseling to consumers, caregivers and professionals through dedicated helplines, community outreach and training.
Activities to be pursued by the Client Services Associate include the following:
- Provide telephone and e-mail counseling to consumer and professional clients with questions about Medicare, collecting relevant data and making timely referrals as needed.
- Answer questions and help solve health insurance related issues for individuals with Medicare and Medicaid with long-term care services.
- Maintain accurate, quality call records relevant to Medicare trends to inform and strengthen Medicare Rights’ policy work and educational resources.
- Assist with Medicare Rights’ low-income benefits enrollment work, including screening clients for benefits, conducting outreach to eligible individuals, processing benefits with relevant city agencies, and provide assistance in teaching benefits to community based professionals.
- Database entry, administrative and clerical responsibilities as assigned.
- Lead community presentations as needed to educate New Yorkers about their Medicare rights and options.
- Assist volunteers in providing Medicare counseling to callers.
- Help coordinate special projects as needed and other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated, organized team-player. Specific qualifications include the following:
- Undergraduate degree required.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Empathy and ability to convey complex information in a consumer-friendly manner.
- Ability to connect consumer experience to broader Medicare and health policy reforms.
- An orientation toward data and analysis.
- Organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Experience or knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid and/or public health issues preferred, but not required.
- A strong interest and commitment to client advocacy.
- Spanish language fluency a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Medicare Rights Center offers a generous benefits package.
The Medicare Rights Center is committed to diversity, and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with “Client Services Associate” in the subject line. Cover letter files should be labeled “Last Name – Cover Letter,” and resumes should be labeled “Last Name – Resume.” No phone calls please.